When will golf be returning? Experts offer hope
- Credit: Archant
Golf courses around England continue to be closed during this latest lockdown.
But is good news for golfers just around the corner?
Well, the answer to that is, 'hopefully', with Prime Minister Boris Johnson promising to share a "roadmap" in the coming weeks to outline the steps that will take England out of the present state of lockdown.
The case has been made for golf in recent days by England Golf and the All-Parliamentary Group for Golf, which updated its COVID-19 Secure Golf in the United Kingdom paper, submitting the letter to the PM, and the Chief Medical Officers of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.
Featuring input from epidemiologist and Principal Advisor on Physical Activity for Health to the four United Kingdom Chief Medical Officers, Professor Charlie Foster, and Chief Medical Officer to the European Tour, Consultant in Sport and Exercise Medicine at the University of Edinburgh, Dr Andrew Murray, the paper promotes the steps taken by the golf industry to deliver a safe sport, while also demonstrating the academic and scientific research on the benefits to physical and mental health.
Professor Foster said: “As the paper shows, golf can be played safely, and it should have a central role in the government’s thinking when it comes to helping people exercise now and as we come out of pandemic restrictions.
“I have therefore recommended that an expert in physical activity join the SAGE advisory group to ensure there is consistency across the sciences represented within it, and to provide advice on allowing physical activity to return as restrictions are reduced.”
- 1 Schools 'well versed' and ready for March 8 reopening, headteachers say
- 2 Warning for future of nightclubs as pandemic takes its toll in Suffolk
- 3 Plan for 28 homes in village gets go-ahead
- 4 Plans submitted for 30 bedroom hotel in centre of Suffolk town
- 5 Full steam ahead - did you see vintage traction engines at these rallies?
- 6 Explained - when you can see friends and relatives under lockdown easing
- 7 Hair salon and cocktail bar opening new Suffolk site as demand 'goes bananas'
- 8 Suffolk Instagram star spreads body positivity for 'mid-size' girls through fashion
- 9 West Suffolk council tax plans for 2021 confirmed
- 10 Suffolk events going ahead this summer which you can enjoy
Hopefully golf will be one of the first sports to return to some sort of normality as lockdown eases.