Suffolk Premier Cup First Round AFC Sudbury 2 Haverhill Borough 2 (Sudbury won 5-4 on pens) Haverhill Borough’s first foray into the Omni Freight Services Suffolk Premier Cup ended in the heartache of a penalty shoot-out defeat at AFC Sudbury, writes Nick Garnham.

Borough held their illustrious, albeit youthful, hosts to a 2-2 draw in Tuesday night’s first round tie at the King’s Marsh Stadium before bowing out 5-4 on penalties.

Tom Boddey had put Borough ahead after seven minutes, the ball going in off former Borough goalkeeper Paul Walker, before substitute Joe Walker equalised three minutes after coming on for his debut.

AFC Sudbury dominated possession and Alfie Carroll gave them the lead after 40 minutes, but they failed to kill off the game and Matt Staines bundled home eight minutes from the end to take the tie to a penalty shoot-out.

Walker saved Borough’s fifth penalty from Ryan Swallow, before Jamie Eaton-Collins netted for AFC Sudbury to set up a second-round tie at home to Needham Market next month.

The match will see AFC Sudbury Manager Mark Morsley lock horns with the club he guided to Premier Cup success last season.

Morsley said: “I think in reality we should have had the game won at half-time, but credit to Haverhill as I thought they would tire because they spent the whole night chasing the ball but they actually got stronger in the second half and had a chance to win the game.

“They sussed us out at half time and stopped us playing the way we had been in the first half, so fair play to them.”

Haverhill Borough boss Anthony Choat said: “We had a plan tonight as they are a good side. We will play against a lot of good sides of their ilk this season such as Felixstowe & Walton United and Coggeshall and you need to have a game plan or they will out-football you, so that is how we will set up against the top sides in our league.

“I am very proud of the boys and there is no shame in going out on penalties. If it had been a league game we would have had a well-deserved draw.”