Thurlow Premier Walsham-le-Willows 1 Haverhill Borough 4 Buoyed by the return of centre backs Cameron Watson and Casey Phillips, Haverhill Borough ran out comfortable winners against Walsham-le-Willows after a magnificent first half display.

Bury Mercury: Young keeper Ed Greenall, 16, makes a save for Haverhill Borough in their win at Walsham. Picture: GARY BROWNYoung keeper Ed Greenall, 16, makes a save for Haverhill Borough in their win at Walsham. Picture: GARY BROWN (Image: Archant)

Having made the two defensive signings earlier in the week, Borough boss Anthony Choat was forced to made a third change to the back five after selecting 16-year-old goalkeeper Ed Greenall to start the game following a goalkeeping crisis.

However, Greenall was to have a relatively gentle introduction into Step 5 football as Borough controlled the game from the first minute.

The visitors were ahead within seven minutes as a quick break saw Ryan Swallow in on goal. He squared the ball to Ryan Weaver who finished clinically past former Borough ‘keeper Tom Coombe.

Walsham’s Ryan Twinn then headed wide when unmarked from a corner before Craig Pruden wasted a golden chance to put Borough two ahead when he pulled a shot wide after out running the Walsham defence.

Borough’s lead did increase after 17 minutes when Weaver was fouled in the penalty area by Coombe and Rory Bone made no mistake from the spot.

Tommy Hardwick was called into action in a goalmouth scramble on the half hour mark, blocking a Walsham chance before skipper Jarid Robson netted two goals in five minutes to settle the game.

A raking 40-yard ball from Bone found Craig Pruden on the left wing, and after turning the defender his cross was powered past Coombe with a fine header by the Borough skipper.

With seconds left in the half Robson doubled his tally with a thunderbolt from outside the penalty area which Coombe watched fly past him into the top corner.

Walsham pulled a goal back early in the second half when Jack Brame headed in from a deep cross. Charlie Holmes then had two opportunities for Borough, shooting over and into the side netting as the goal beckoned.

With time running out Greenhall made a fine save down to his left to deny Cameron Nicholls, but by then the game had been settled with Borough securing a league victory for the first time since mid October.