Bostik North Bury Town 2 Mildenhall Town 1 Bury won this feisty Bostik North local derby on a Ram Meadow pitch that was heavy from the outset and deteriorated as the match progressed, writes John Campany.

Bury Mercury: Cemal Ramadan was on traget once again for Bury Town. Picture: RICHARD MARSHAMCemal Ramadan was on traget once again for Bury Town. Picture: RICHARD MARSHAM (Image: Richard Marsham - RMG Photography Tel - 07798 758711)

Decent football was impossible, but nevertheless there were plenty of spills and thrills for the 337 spectators in attendance.

Ben Chenery’s side triumphed with Ollie Hughes winner on 78 minutes in a second half that was often bad tempered and saw referee Mr James Turner administer seven yellow cards.

Bury had the best of the first half in terms of possession and both Darren Mills and Hughes presented a challenge with their pace. However, the visitors went close when Claudio Ofosu made a forging run before crossing into the box but Ollie Fenn denied Thomas Debenham with an excellent tackle.

The home side failed to fully test Jake Hallett in the visiting goal until the 40th minute when leading scorer Cemal Ramadan beat him with a clever lob from the edge of the box.

After the break Dean Greygoose’s side should have taken advantage of some poor home defending.

In fact, The Hall could so easily have netted three times in a ten minute spell. Firstly Jack Wilkinson’s cross should have been converted by Mathew Green from a yard out and then the lively Ofoso lifted over in front of goal from six yards.

With the Bury side still in the dressing room Jake Chambers-Shaw strode through a static defence, but fired into the side netting. But the visitors finally took advantage of poor marking and equalised when, on 57 minutes, Debenham tapped home following a corner.

The home side then woke from their slumber and Hallett made a point blank save from Tevan Allen, while Darren Mills went close with a header.

At the other end Joe White under hit a back pass, but Ofosu failed to take advantage and Luis Tibbles bravely dived at the oncoming striker’s feet to foil the chance.

A melee then occurred when Gareth Simpson made a poor challenge and was perhaps fortunate to escape with a yellow card.

After the referee had restored order with the help of his assistants the resultant free kick found the visitors defence in disarray and Hughes scrambled the ball over the line to give Bury the three points.