Stowmarket Town assistant manager Paul Musgrove admitted his side had to weather an early storm before knocking higher-league Mildenhall Town out of this season’s Suffolk Premier Cup, writes Nick Garnham.

Mildenhall were made to pay for not taking their chances, including missing a penalty, in Tuesday night’s first-round tie and ended on the wrong end of a 4-1 scoreline at Rec Way.

The Bostik League North side could have put the tie to bed inside the first 15 minutes, but Stowmarket goalkeeper Callum Robinson produced two superb saves and John Sands also rattled the crossbar.

A Josh Mayhew double, one from the penalty spot, put the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division side 2-0 ahead at the break.

Mildenhall’s Evans Kouassi squandered a golden opportunity to reduce the arrears when he placed his spot kick wide of the post in the 72nd minute.

Stowmarket then added goals from Jack Baker and Remi Garrett either side of a consolation from Sands, before substitute Lee Watkins received his marching orders for a second yellow card in injury time to compound Mildenhall’s misery.

Musgrove said afterwards: “I am really delighted with the result. It was always going to be a difficult game coming here and playing with that slope which is a big factor.

“They are a big, strong team and it was a case of sticking to our principles and playing how we like to play.

“We did that very well in the first-half, although we could have been behind in the first 15 minutes when we had to weather the storm.

“Callum Robinson is a well-disciplined lad who is willing to learn off Pottsy (goalkeeping coach Danny Potter) and keep improving. He made some good reaction saves for us not only in the first half but also the second.

“We were clinical in front of goal tonight. Sometimes we are critical as we should be getting more shots off, so it was pleasing that Remi Garrett’s shot was followed up by Jack Baker to score.

“Ollie Brown could have scored the fourth himself, but instead laid it off for Remi to slot home.”