'Best weekend we've had this year!' Hot weather boosts Suffolk trade
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
Sunny weather helped towns and local businesses "thrive again" after a long and difficult winter - with many reporting their busiest weekend so far.
Most shops were forced to close during the coronavirus lockdown - and even when restrictions were eased, the chilly weather kept many indoors.
But the Bank Holiday weekend has been a scorcher, with temperatures reaching as high as 23C in Santon Downham.
Seafronts were busy with walkers and sunbathers on the beach, with many cooling down by having a dip in sea and eating some ice cream.
A spokesperson for Weatherquest, the East Anglia-based forecaster, said on Monday: "Santon Downham reached 23C today and elsewhere it has been a bit cooler reaching 21 and 22C.
You may also want to watch:
"The coastal areas have been cooler and based on the forecast it was around 14C on the coasts."
Jessie Fetherby, owner of The Little Ice Cream Company, said: "It has been very busy, it's brilliant.
- 1 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 4 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 5 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 6 Corrie McKeague: Dad speaks of 'horrendous' past five years
- 7 Go-ahead for all-weather pitch and classrooms at village school
- 8 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 10 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
"When I was preparing in the morning, I saw a steady stream of cars coming into Felixstowe and I was thinking it is going to be very busy.
"We have had a queue all day which is perfect and it kinds of makes up for times gone by.
"It has been the best weekend we've had this year.
"It takes a while to find your feet again. It is almost like starting a brand new business.
"It's absolutely brilliant to see people back in Felixstowe. It is almost a sad place without all the people."
Warm weather is forecast again for tomorrow.