'It was awesome' - Raducanu US open win inspires students
- Credit: Abbeygate Sixth Form College/PA Images
Teenage students from Abbeygate Sixth Form College in Bury St Edmunds are celebrating the "amazing" US Open victory of 18-year-old Emma Raducanu.
Raducanu, 18, progressed through the qualifying rounds to reach the final at Flushing Meadows, winning against Canadian teenager Leylah Fernandez on Saturday evening.
Freja Howlett, 17, from Ipswich is studying her A Levels at the college on Beetons Way, and has been enjoying reading about Raducanu's historic win in the media.
She said: "I was reading a national newspaper recently and there was four pages of stories on male sports - and in the tiny corner of the paper there was a small bit about women’s football.
“Therefore for me, it’s great that people are talking about it so much – that to me is inspirational.”
You may also want to watch:
Tennis player, and A-Level student James Ireland, 17, from Bury St Edmunds said: "It was awesome watching her, I was shouting at the TV. I play tennis myself so I'm a big fan.
"Not only is she a good tennis player, she is academic and she has passed her driving test, she inspires me greatly, not only to get better at tennis but also to do well with academic stuff."
- 1 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 2 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash
- 3 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 4 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 5 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 6 Corrie McKeague: Dad speaks of 'horrendous' past five years
- 7 Go-ahead for all-weather pitch and classrooms at village school
- 8 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 9 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
Seventeen-year-old April Adah also lives in Bury and studies at the college. She said: “Emma Raducanu has done so much at such a young age so it is inspiring. It’s amazing what some people have already achieved by the same age as my friends and I.”