Riding high - did you compete in gymkhanas as a youngster?
- Credit: Archant
Did you belong to a pony club as a youngster, and compete in gymkhanas around Suffolk?
Or did you go along to watch the riders battling it out?
Our latest nostalgic picture gallery looks back to equestrian events around the county in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
One of the most unusual photos shows riders wearing fancy dress at Creeting St Mary Show and Gymkhana in August 1979.
And there are also pictures of proud winners showing off their rosettes and trophies after a successful ride.
You may also want to watch:
The word "gymkhana" originally referred to displays of athletics and equestrian events in 19th-century India.
Events where horse and pony riders showed their skills went on to become very popular in the UK, and many were held around East Anglia over the years.
- 1 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 2 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash
- 3 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 4 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 5 Corrie McKeague: Dad speaks of 'horrendous' past five years
- 6 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 7 Go-ahead for all-weather pitch and classrooms at village school
- 8 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 10 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
To order copies of photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.