Music competition that champions young talent is back for 2022
- Credit: Tony Bell
Organisers of a music competition that gives a platform to up-and-coming young bands and artists are calling for people to sign up.
The well-established BurySOUND contest will be returning to the Hunter Club and the Apex in Bury St Edmunds in the new year.
All genres and ages are welcome, but priority will be given to younger artists and those based in and around the west Suffolk area.
The first of five heats is taking place on Friday, February 4, at the Hunter Club and the final will be on Friday, March 18, at the Apex, featuring a headline performance by BurySOUND 2020 winners FLEAS, a locally-based punk quintet.
The long-overdue final of BurySOUND 2020 was held in October 2021.
Seymour Quigley, from BurySOUND, said: "We'd love to get the word out far and wide this year as we're aware lockdown may have put some young musicians off the idea of gigging."
BurySOUND was founded in 1997 by St Edmundsbury Borough Council's then youth and community development officer Jackie Smith and local promoter Paul Johnson in the hope that providing a platform for young musicians would help a scene to develop in the west Suffolk area.
BurySOUND has gone from strength to strength, nurturing emerging talent year after year in a safe, inclusive and positive environment, Mr Quigley said.
- 1 Driver fails to stop at crash as cyclist left with broken elbow in Bury
- 2 Three suspected cases of Omicron at Bury St Edmunds schools
- 3 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 4 New project will provide thousands of homes across Suffolk
- 5 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 'Hold his hands up and apologise' — Suffolk MPs on Christmas party video
- 8 Woman highlights 'price tag' of cancer diagnosis
- 9 Don't take ministers' advice - you should decide what is safe for yourself
- 10 Decision deferred on plans for 44 homes in Suffolk village