How could the lockdown get tougher?
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
National lockdown restrictions could be toughened in an effort to reduce the spike of coronavirus cases, it has been reported.
Boris Johnson reportedly spoke with senior ministers on Sunday to evaluate "whether the current lockdown rules were working" in reducing the numbers of Covid-19 cases amid fears the restrictions are not strict enough, the Daily Telegraph said.
England's chief medical officer Chris Whitty warned this morning that the next few weeks will be the "worst of the pandemic" as the threat of the NHS being completely overwhelmed remains.
It is believed tougher measures may be introduced in a bid to curb rising infection rates and ensure the NHS does not become overwhelmed.
So what could change?
- Meeting one person from another household outside
The Government is understood to be considering stopping the exemption which allows people to exercise with one other person from outside of their household or support bubble.
- 1 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 2 Snow could hit Suffolk as overnight temperatures set to plunge
- 3 85% of West Suffolk Hospital staff vaccinated in battle to meet demand on health service
- 4 9 of Suffolk’s most famous blue plaques and where to find them
- 5 Singer-songwriter wants to 'make similar impact to Ed Sheeran'
- 6 Suffolk and Essex on standby for snow
- 7 Did you play hockey? Here are 11 'teams of yesteryear'..... Are you or your club featured?
- 8 Joy for care home residents and staff at receiving Covid-19 vaccine
- 9 Rapid Covid test sites planned for Bury St Edmunds and Lowestoft
- 10 Bury station house gets £600,000 makeover - now Greater Anglia needs to find a new use for it!
Reports suggest restrictions on exercise could be tightened following concerns that people are using the allowance to socialise.
- Could support bubbles be banned?
Support bubbles have been in place in England since June, and now thousands of people who live alone or are in a single-parent household rely on them for support during the lockdown.
Taking this away would take England back to where it was in March - during the first national lockdown.
- Could nurseries close?
Nurseries have so far been unaffected by the third national lockdown, despite all other education settings closing until mid-February, however many scientists and experts have called for this to change.
The Early Years Alliance, which represents nurseries and childminders, said some providers are closing despite what the Government has said.
- Face masks could become mandatory in busy outside spaces
It has been reported that ministers are preparing to tell supermarket bosses to get tougher on policing social distancing restrictions and mask wearing in-store.
People could also be asked to wear face coverings in shop queues and even at work, reports suggest.
- Could a curfew be implemented?
Other countries, such as France, have introduced 6pm curfews for some of its hardest-hit regions.
The UK has never imposed a full night-time curfew during the pandemic, but with rising cases it remains a possibility., and the Prime Minister has not ruled out this prospect.