Mildenhall Fen Tigers name first four riders for 2018 team
- Credit: Archant
The Mildenhall Fen Tiges have announced the first four riders in their 2018 squad – and they’re all between the ages of 15 and 17, writes Phil Kirk.
Supporters will again be able to witness the further development of talented duo Jordan Jenkins, 16, and Drew Kemp, 15, both having already made big impressions on Suffolk speedway supporters during the 2017 season.
Jenkins added over four points to his starting average in 2017 and will be looking to put pressure on the No 1 position whilst British under 15 champion Kemp, who followed a similar path to Jenkins last season, has the potential to achieve similar success as his teenage teammate.
Kemp will be joined at reserve by Matt Marson, 17, who made a big impression during his short visit in July. Marson will be arriving in the UK in the New Year and will be based locally with the family of his mechanic.
The quietly-spoken Marson has already endeared himself to supporters following his heat 14 victory in the famous KO Cup comeback at home to Stoke, when the Fen Tigers clawed back the tie with a sensational three 5-1s in the last three heats.
You may also want to watch:
The awesome foursome is completed by the return of local starlet Sam Bebee, 17, who sat out the 2017 season following his horrific crash at Coventry late in the 2016 season.
Bebee has been doing plenty of practising already and has a full programme of racing and fitness training lined up for the winter months as the popular youngster prepares for his comeback season.
- 1 Cyclist, 65, who died in Bury crash is named by police
- 2 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots
- 3 Construction starts on project to build 330 homes in Bury St Edmunds
- 4 Suffolk chain carries out improvement works as lockdown stalls anniversary celebrations
- 5 'Get down and have a drink' - Suffolk pub landlady wants support to continue
- 6 WATCH: Drone footage of crane towering above Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 8 Joy for first-time buyers as 5% deposit mortgages return
- 9 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 10 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
Promoter Kevin Jolly said: “This has always been the sort of line-up I have wanted to put together and to be able to announce four exciting teenagers all aged between 15 and 17 makes all the hard work and the ups and downs worthwhile.
“All these boys have so much potential and the management team will work with them all to support and develop them during the season.
“I think it says a great deal about the club that these lads have chosen Mildenhall as the place to be at the start of their speedway careers and this has totally energised me ahead of the new season.”