Crime commissioner's congratulations as 83 suspected stolen dogs recovered
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk's police and crime commissioner has congratulated officers involved in a raid which saw more than 80 suspected stolen dogs seized.
Officers investigating a spate of dog thefts executed a number of warrants at West Meadows travellers' site in Ipswich on Saturday and recovered 83 dogs of various breeds and ages.
Six people - three men and three women, all from Ipswich - were also arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to steal and have been released on bail until April 16.
Tim Passmore, the county's police and crime commissioner, who recently supported a national dog theft survey, said: "I'd like to congratulate all the officers and the partner agencies involved in this successful operation.
“Dog theft is a particularly cruel crime and I think the sentencing guidelines are in urgent need of review to ensure the thieves, when caught, receive a stiff sentence which will act as a deterrent for other criminals."
He added: “A pet dog is a member of the family, and as a dog-owner myself, I can understand how very distressing this crime is for both owner and pet.
“We all need to make sure we do everything possible to report suspicious circumstances to the police. I would encourage all dog owners to keep their pets safe and take a look at the constabulary website for advice.
"Please remember if your dog is lost and suspected stolen, it is important to report it as quickly as you can.”
- 1 Suspected drug dealer arrested on 18th birthday
- 2 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 3 Police hunt for man who failed to attend court
- 4 London man, 29, charged with drug offences in Bury St Edmunds
- 5 Election 2021: All you need to know about Police and Crime Commissioner polls
- 6 Thieves steal mobility scooter from elderly man in his 90s
- 7 1 in 3 have now had both Covid vaccine doses in Suffolk
- 8 Bid for solar panels on extension of 500-year-old thatched cottage rejected
- 9 Heavy rain expected in Suffolk over the weekend
- 10 Ed Sheeran to end break from music with performance at Big Weekend