We don’t need yet another fast food takeaway for shopping precinct, say residents
PUBLISHED: 17:00 26 September 2018 | UPDATED: 17:00 26 September 2018
Concerns have been raised about the possibility of another fast food takeaway at a popular parade of shops.
A planning application for change of use from a retail outlet to a hot food takeaway has been submitted for the former post office on St Olaves Precinct in Bury St Edmunds.
The precinct, on the town’s Howard estate, has 12 stores and residents argue that with five fast-food outlets already on the site, another one would mean half of the shops at the parade would be takeaways.
The community post office at the precinct closed in September last year.
Currently, 26 objections have been submitted on the St Edmundsbury Borough Council planning application, with one letter of support for a new takeaway.
Commenting on the application, John Radford, who lives on the estate, said: “We have plenty of food outlets in the precinct.
“We really need something which is beneficial to the community, of which another post office would be advantageous.”
Other residents cited concerns with parking, noise pollution and additional traffic.
Borough and town ward councillor Paul Hopfensperger has pledged to fight the application, posting photographs of full litter bins at the precinct on social media and highlighting rising obesity levels.
Mr Hopfensperger said obesity was a factor in 617,000 admissions to NHS hospitals in 2016/17 and it is set to eclipse smoking as the biggest cause of cancer by 2043.
“The people of the Howard estate have spoken loud and clear,” he said.
“They want their post office back, or if this is not possible, they would like a café where the community can meet, eat healthily and stay for a while, or both.
“What short-term/long-term effect could this application have on the health of residents and the resources of the West Suffolk Hospital and associated health care services?”
Max Clarke, councillor and chairman of the St Olaves Precinct Business Forum, said he has been working with the landlord and residents’ association on the issue since June.
The council’s development control committee will meet on October 4. The applicants have been contacted for comment.