Suffolk star Wilkinson disqualified at European Championships
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Sufolk race walker Callum Wilkinson suffered a disappointing day at the European Championships in Berlin as he received a disqualification in the 20km race.
Wilkinson is just 21 and already Britain’s No.2 male in the sport, but couldn’t put his form onto the course in the centre of Berlin.
The former world junior 10km champion started fast and took the lead just after the six kilometre mark but was shown a red card just before seven kilometres.
The championships marked the latest stage in the development of a rapidly-progressing young athlete, but Wilkinson’s coach – Andi Drake – was disappointed with the outcome.
“I’ve not spoken to him yet, I’m sure he’s very disappointed,” said Drake.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s clearly gifted, the world’s best athletes turn that gift into talent and then they learn discipline and all of those things.
“Those things are coachable and things that he can develop, that’s all I can say.”
- 1 Workspace for freelancers and ‘homeworkers’ opens in town centre
- 2 Cheers! Pubgoers brave the cold as outside hospitality returns
- 3 Suffolk chain carries out improvement works as lockdown stalls anniversary celebrations
- 4 Air ambulance lands in Abbey Gardens after medical incident
- 5 Man jailed for endangering driver's life by damaging brake cable on van
- 6 10 empty premises hoped to be filled in Bury town centre
- 7 A14 driver allegedly speeding at 110mph is arrested
- 8 'Jealous' ex-boyfriend allegedly murdered mother-of-two, trial hears
- 9 Suffolk wealth management company is snapped up by investment giant
- 10 Decision made on homes plan off narrow village lane
The Moulton athlete represented Great Britain at last summer’s World Championships and made a breakthrough in April of this year when he ran close to a personal best to finish seventh at the Commonwealth Games.
A former pupil at King Edward VI College in Bury St Edmunds, Wilkinson was competing in a team of four British race walkers in Berlin.
Heather Lewis was also disqualified, Bethan Davies finished 22nd and Tom Bosworth claimed seventh position in the men’s race – won by Spain’s Alvaro Martin.
- SSE customers can get up to 48 hour advanced ticketing, lounge upgrades, exclusive competitions and VIP experiences at our sponsored venues, The SSE Arena, Wembley and The SSE Hydro. We’re also incredibly proud to support The SSE Women’s FA Cup.