Exciting racer Danny Ayres signs for Mildenhall Fen Tigers
- Credit: Archant
Speedway showman and entertainer Danny Ayres is the fifth member of the Mildenhall Fen Tigers squad revealed for the 2018 season, writes Phil Kirk.
One of the very top riders in the National League, Ayres will light up Sunday afternoons at West Row as he finally pulls on the Mildenhall kevlars after being chased by the club for a number of seasons.
He will add the steel to a young Fen Tigers team – his record in this division is without parallel and his skills on away tracks will bolster the team’s performance, as too often last season they faltered on away tracks.
Based locally and with a workshop on the site of Fen Tigers’ sponsor KJM Road Sweepers a couple of miles from the stadium, it is a real case of coming home for local boy Ayres.
A late comer to the sport, Ayres was 27 when he made his debut for Kent but has made rapid progress, winning the National League Best Pairs in 2015 and the KO Cup with Kent in 2016 to become one of the most sought-after riders in the National League.
You may also want to watch:
Mildenhall promoter Kevin Jolly said: “It is no secret of the high regard I hold Danny in and I have tried to sign him for the last couple of seasons.
“Things didn’t quite work out in the past partly down to Danny’s loyalty to previous clubs, a trait I admire in riders, but we have at last got our man and this is another major coup for Mildenhall speedway.
- 1 Cyclist, 65, who died in Bury crash is named by police
- 2 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots
- 3 Construction starts on project to build 330 homes in Bury St Edmunds
- 4 Suffolk chain carries out improvement works as lockdown stalls anniversary celebrations
- 5 'Get down and have a drink' - Suffolk pub landlady wants support to continue
- 6 WATCH: Drone footage of crane towering above Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 8 Joy for first-time buyers as 5% deposit mortgages return
- 9 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 10 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
“Danny will give us real top end strength not only at home, but importantly on our travels.
“Things have moved along quicker than expected, but for now that will be all we can announce until after we attend the AGM and find out the point limits for 2018.
“I am positive that our supporters will be excited by this marquee signing and I look forward to catching up with supporters at the Stadium next Sunday for the Christmas get together when hopefully some of the signed riders will also be in attendance.”
The four riders already announced are teenagers Jordan Jenkins, Drew Kemp, Matt Marson, Sam Bebee.