'Still in our thoughts' ...Remembering popular speedway rider, Danny Ayres, who passed away one year ago today
- Credit: Archant
IT is 12 months ago to the day that Danny Ayres passed away.
The popular speedway rider who rode for Mildenhall Fen Tigers and was set to race for Ipswich Witches in 2020, took his own life on February 1 last year. He was just 33 years old.
"Danny is still in our thoughts," Ipswich promoter Chris Louis said. "And always will be. We were going to dedicate last season to his memory, but as we didn't race, we will be doing so this year."
The Witches' race suits will have a dedication of Danny's race number (#15) on them this season.
Danny was born in Bury St Edmunds and had just sealed his dream move to ride with the Witches having previously captained Mildenhall in the National League before his untimely death.
On Friday, February 14, last year, Mildenhall hosted his funeral at their West Row track.
It began with the hearse doing a poignant lap of the track, followed by his team-mates on their bikes.
- 1 Schools 'well versed' and ready for March 8 reopening, headteachers say
- 2 Warning for future of nightclubs as pandemic takes its toll in Suffolk
- 3 Plan for 28 homes in village gets go-ahead
- 4 Plans submitted for 30 bedroom hotel in centre of Suffolk town
- 5 Full steam ahead - did you see vintage traction engines at these rallies?
- 6 Explained - when you can see friends and relatives under lockdown easing
- 7 Hair salon and cocktail bar opening new Suffolk site as demand 'goes bananas'
- 8 Suffolk Instagram star spreads body positivity for 'mid-size' girls through fashion
- 9 West Suffolk council tax plans for 2021 confirmed
- 10 Suffolk events going ahead this summer which you can enjoy
Speedway fans across the country will always remember Danny Ayres for the entertainer he was.