Nostalgia: Did you ever attend a Suffolk festival of sport?
- Credit: Owen Hines
The Olympic Games may have come to a dramatic close on Sunday – but how could we forget some of Suffolk's festivals of sport?
The sporting games were held each year around the county, giving some of Suffolk's youngsters and veterans alike the chance to try a variety of sports while learning what local clubs had to offer.
Popular sports included football, fencing and kickboxing – and even included the exhilarating motoball, a game of football on motorcycles.
Among some of the biggest events was the Ipswich Festival of Sport in 1978 – the same year Town fans went crazy with the club's historic FA Cup win.
Other events on the sporting calendar included sporting festivals in Sudbury and Bury St Edmunds, as well as over the border in Mistley.
All eyes now turn to the Paralympic Games, starting in Tokyo on Tuesday, August 24.
If you would like to order photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 Tools found in woods by police believed to be stolen
- 2 Should the BBC licence fee be scrapped? Readers give their views
- 3 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 4 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 5 Woman jailed for harassing behaviour in Bury St Edmunds
- 6 'Critical internal incident' ends at West Suffolk Hospital
- 7 Families of SEND children receive £32,000 in payouts after complaints
- 8 Big kids: role playing adventure lets youngsters dress up like parents
- 9 Cancelling Christmas fair 'nail in the coffin' for established market stall
- 10 Warning after 'Nottingham Knockers' visit homes in Bury St Edmunds