First meteor shower of 2022 to light up the night sky in early January
- Credit: PA Wire
The UK is set to be illuminated by the first meteor shower of 2022 in early January.
Active from December 12 to January 12, the Quadrantid meteor shower is expected to be at its most visible on January 3.
For the best view, stargazers are urged to look to the skies after dusk.
At its peak, the shower can produce a rate of 118 meteors per hour.
At non-peak times, there will be fewer meteors over the country, but the ones that do appear will be long-lived meteors which will travel across a wide area of sky.
A meteor shower occurs when the Earth passes through debris which has been left behind by comets and asteroids.
- 1 Tools found in woods by police believed to be stolen
- 2 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 3 Should the BBC licence fee be scrapped? Readers give their views
- 4 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 5 Woman jailed for harassing behaviour in Bury St Edmunds
- 6 'Critical internal incident' ends at West Suffolk Hospital
- 7 Seven post boxes stolen from villages across Suffolk
- 8 Families of SEND children receive £32,000 in payouts after complaints
- 9 Big kids: role playing adventure lets youngsters dress up like parents
- 10 Cold weather alert issued for Suffolk for the next four days