Blooming marvels – remembering flower shows around Suffolk
- Credit: John Kerr/Archant
Flower shows are among East Anglia’s most popular events – celebrating our area’s rich horticultural heritage.
Today, we are looking back at some of Suffolk’s floral events over the years - with all kinds of colourful blooms taking centre stage, together with prize fruit and veg.
Benhall, near Saxmundham, has regularly staged a popular flower show and fete over the years.
The first-ever Benhall and Sternfield Memorial Flower Show was held in 1946, welcoming home members of the Armed Forces.
The event was cancelled last year because of Covid-19, but hopes to mark its 75th anniversary this summer.
You may also want to watch:
Also featured in our Days Gone By gallery are Felixstowe’s Fuchsia Show and events in Ipswich, Grundisburgh and Knodishall.
Do these photos bring back memories? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
To order photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 Estate agents hail idea of extension to stamp duty cut as 'shot in the arm'
- 2 New cafe at popular Suffolk beauty spot
- 3 Elderly man jailed for historic sex crimes against young girls
- 4 Warning for future of nightclubs as pandemic takes its toll in Suffolk
- 5 Plans submitted for 30 bedroom hotel in centre of Suffolk town
- 6 Suffolk bakery continues 152-year hot cross bun tradition
- 7 Explained - when you can see friends and relatives under lockdown easing
- 8 Tributes paid to independent West Suffolk councillor Jim Meikle
- 9 School unveils 'wonderful' new multi-million pound sixth form centre
- 10 Ipswich, Babergh and Colchester see slight rise in Covid cases