Parrot rescued from bungalow fire in Newmarket which saw blaze rip through kitchen
Firefighters worked to put out the flames after being called to a large kitchen fire in Newmarket this evening.
The blaze sparked in a six-bedroom bungalow in Howard De Walden Way, close to its junction with George Lambton Avenue shortly after 6.30pm today.
A parrot - believed to be the family’s pet - was rescued from the house before firefighters arrived and no-one is believed to have been trapped or injured.
The flames are now out but two fire engines from Newmarket are still at the scene.
They are using positive pressure ventilation to clear the smoke out of the house and checking for hotspots.
Initial investigations suggest the fire may have started in an extractor hood above the hob.
A fire service spokeswoman said pumps are expected to stay at the home until smoke has been cleared and further checks are made.